RYA Cruising Instructor (Sail) and Relief Skipper - Hong Kong
Outward Bound Hong Kong is looking to hire a full time RYA Cruising Instructor (sail) who will also act as Relief Skipper on our Challenge 67 yacht ‘Spirit of Outward Bound Hong Kong’. Their role, aside from duties in maintenance and servicing include but are not limited to supervising instructors and participants whilst out on course maintaining operational safety as a priority.
‘Spirit of Outward Bound Hong Kong’ operates over 200 days a year of such programmes with participants from a wide variety of backgrounds. When not on course, the crew is expected to perform maintenance tasks on- board and also engage in the development of training and operational efficiency where on-board sail training can incorporate essential educational requirements.
Spirit of Outward Bound Hong Kong is virtually in her original build state and apart from upgrades and refits has not changed much from her original condition in the BT Challenge Round the World Yacht Race. Sails are heavy and handed on. There is nothing easy and facilities are basic. Candidates must be fit, strong and willing to work hard.
An extensive offshore winter program is being planned hoping to visit Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore etc.
Within your role of Cruising Instructor, you will be expected to train and assess students up to Watch Leader. You will also be required to work closely with the Head of Sailing to develop and promote RYA courses within our recognition status.
This is very much a ‘Team’ position working in a supportive and understanding environment. You will work closely with the Captain and form a strong cooperative relationship. The Sailing Department at OBHK is exciting and demanding with unlimited potential for growth. You are expected to have a voice in its development. You will be expected to work under your own initiative and be self-motivated
Basic responsibilities: To work under the direct supervision of the Captain
• Supervise deck crew
• Create and execute required drills for crew members.
• Ensure that all equipment onboard the ship is being properly maintained and is in working order.
• Provide training to Instructors and client groups on the equipment that they will use while onboard.
• Stand in for the Captain, performing all of the captain's duties, as needed.
• Supervise docking and anchoring operations.
Qualifications and Experience:
• RYA/MCA Yacht Master Offshore with Commercial Endorsement
• Minimum RYA Cruising Instructor (sail) or Yacht Master Instructor (sail)
• VHF/SRC Assessor (preferred)*
• Shore based Instructor (Preferred)*
• HELM Certification
• Yacht Master Ocean (Preferred)*
• Current First Aid Certificate
• ROC Unlimited (Preferred)*
• HK Marine Department – Pleasure Vessel Operators Certificate of Competency Grade II (with a requirement to Obtain Grade I1 or 1 within a Given Time frame)*
• STCW95/10 – Basic Safety Training
• Use, Care & Maintenance of Diesel Engines Type Certification (preferred)*
• Experience in Deck work
• Experience in Servicing Hardware i.e. winches
• Experience in Servicing Engines and Generators
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three references in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com